Sunrun Prevents Emission of More Than 8.1 Million Metric Tons of Carbon Pollution
View printer-friendly version
“We have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to build a sustainable future for humanity,” said
Sunrun’s mission is to create a planet run by the sun and build an affordable energy system that combats climate change and provides energy access for all. We are achieving this by delivering on commitments to our customers, our employees, the communities in which we operate, and our business and financial partners.
Additional highlights from the 2020 report include:
Unveiling Sustainability Goals
Sunrunis working towards building a network over the next decade of solar and battery systems that will offset more than 600 million metric tons of carbon emissions over their lifetimes.
- The company set a goal to achieve net zero carbon emissions from our operations by 2040.
Sunrunset a goal to decrease our transportation emissions by transitioning our fleet to one third electric or hybrid within 5 years. Sunrunis aiming for gender representation parity in director and above roles by 2025 and race/ethnicity representation parity in manager roles by 2025. Sunrunplans to deliver at least 500 megawatts of solar to lower-income people across the country by 2030.
Sunrunhas generated 11.4 billion kilowatt-hours of clean energy since 2007.
- The company’s expanded solar footprint prevented greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions totaling 8.1 million metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e), which is a more than 50% increase from the previous year. This is equivalent to negating the carbon dioxide emissions from burning more than 8.9 billion pounds of coal.
Sunrunsystems prevented other pollutant emissions known to harm public health, including preventing over 7.2 million tons of nitrogen oxide pollution since 2007.
Sunrunis expanding solar energy access in underrepresented communities across the country, delivering an estimated $11 millionworth of savings to more than 100,000 low-and-median income residents and providing nearly 3,500 hours of solar job training for residents in disadvantaged communities. Sunruncontinues its commitment to lead the industry on pay equity by upholding the California Equal Pay Pledge and The White House Equal Pay Pledge, as well as providing a wage of at least $15per hour to all employees. Sunrunis committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. As of December 31, 2020, women make up 50% of our executive management team and 44% of our Board of Directors. Nearly one quarter of all Sunrunemployees are women.
- Sunrun’s Board of Directors has four female members, including our CEO
Lynn Jurich. Sunrunestablished a Human Rights policy, building on Sunrun’s commitment to fair and equitable treatment.
- Sunrun’s commitment to good corporate governance is also reflected in our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics, our Vendor Code of Conduct, and other related governance policies, which are reviewed annually by the
Nominating and Governance Committee.
- In 2020 we hosted quarterly meetings with our executive Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Committee. This group is made up of senior management tasked with aligning our ESG priorities with the company’s broader vision and mission.
The Nominating & Corporate Governance Committeeof our Board of Directors also provided oversight of our ESG goals and performance.
Sunrunannounced in 2020 that it would bring its rechargeable solar battery system, Brightbox, to all of the company’s active markets.
- In 2020, Sunrun’s home solar and rechargeable battery systems provided thousands of customers across the nation with 129,312 hours (~5,400 days) of backup energy, helping them power through 25,167 power outage events.
- Since the first quarter of 2019,
Sunrunsystems have experienced 42,325 backup events lasting 282,155 hours (~11,800 days).
Financial Sustainability & Growth
Sunrunaccelerated scale by acquiring one of the largest solar energy companies in the United States, Vivint Solar.
- The company ended the year with 550,000 customers, an 18% year over year improvement, pro-forma to include Vivint Solar.
Sunrunsolidified its position as a top owner of solar assets globally with nearly four gigawatts of Networked Solar Energy Capacity. Sunruninstalled a new solar system every 1.5 minutes on average per workweek and has created over 8,500 jobs. Sunrunhas $9 billionof gross solar system assets on our balance sheet and have largely funded our growth with non-recourse project debt and tax equity. Sunrunended 2020 with $7.8 billionin Gross Earning Assets and $4.2 billionin Net Earning Assets.
For more information, including metrics related to additional financial, social and environmental sustainability, and an appendix that provides ESG-related disclosures under the SASB framework, a discussion of how
Director of Communications
Investor & Analyst Contact:
SVP, Finance & IR
Source: Sunrun Inc.